Sequim School District officials are seeking public and parent input on setting priorities for Initiative 728 funding for the 2008-2009 school year at a public hearing set for 7 p.m. April 21 in the school district boardroom, 533 N. Sequim Ave.
The session includes a review of possible I-728 expenditures, a report of the districts current I-728 expenditures, anticipated 2008-2009 revenue and recommended expenditures for the next school year.
The initiatives dollars are targeted to specific educational categories and cannot be used to replace or supplant other funding. The actual amount a school district will receive depends on the outcome of the budget set by the state Legislature this year.
School districts may use the student achievement (I-728) funds in any of the following six broad areas:
• Reduce class sizes in grades K-4 by hiring certificated elementary classroom teachers and paying nonemployee-related costs associated with those new teachers
• Make selected class size reductions in grades 5-12, such as high school writing classes
• Provide extended learning opportunities for students in grades K-12, including but not limited to extended school year, extended school day, before and after school programs, special tutoring programs, weekend school programs, summer school and all-day kindergarten
• Provide additional professional development for educators, including additional paid time for curriculum and lesson redesign, training to ensure that instruction is aligned with state standards and student needs, reimbursement for higher education costs related to enhancing teaching skills and knowledge, and mentoring programs to match teachers with skilled master teachers
• Provide early assistance for children who need prekindergarten support in order to be successful in school
• Provide improvements or additions to school building facilities that are directly related to class size reductions and extended learning opportunities.
For more information, call 582-3260.
The Sequim Gazette is located at 147 W. Washington Street in Sequim.
Business hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Phone 360-683-3311, or toll free at 800-829-5810. FAX 360-683-6670.
For a complete company directory with contact information please click HERE.