Sequim High Schools group of musicians Concert Band, Wind Ensemble, Percussion Ensemble and Jazz Band capped a busy 2007-2008 school year with a concert for the hometown fans and parents June 10.
Director Vern Fosket led the collective in saying goodbye to 18 seniors and handed out numerous end-of-the-year awards, including the Richard Meyers Memorial Music Scholarship to Sequim senior percussionist Jon Bash.
Other SHS band awards include:
• John Philip Souza Award (chosen by students/Wind Ensemble): Daylee Joers
• Directors Award/Wind Ensemble: Olivia Creasey
• Most Improved (Wind Ensemble): Stephanie Phipps
• Innovative Percussionist Award: Jon Bash
• Most Improved (Percussion Ensemble): Jon McHugh
• Louis Armstrong Award (chosen by students/Jazz Band):
• Most Improved (Jazz Band): Ben Spray
• Woody Herman Award (directors choice/Jazz Band): Bash
Before finishing the evening with a pair of sizzling jazz numbers with guest musician Craig Buhler, Fosket recounted a number of SHS band highlights from the year, including the biennial Disneyland trip and adjudication, a record number (17) of all-state musicians, Bashs second-place performance at state in the multiple percussion division, a rather rainy parade experience in Victoria and the Jazz Bands academic state championship.
The Sequim Gazette is located at 147 W. Washington Street in Sequim.
Business hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Phone 360-683-3311, or toll free at 800-829-5810. FAX 360-683-6670.
For a complete company directory with contact information please click HERE.