No one was injured in a Sunday afternoon fire in a carport at 516 E. Fir St. Estimated damage to the carport plus a vehicle and other contents was $40,000.
The fire started when fuel spilled from a car under repair was ignited by a propane heater, according to a report from Clallam County Fire District 3. The propane tank was not damaged.
Firefighters responded to 516 E. Fir St. about 2:45 p.m. Sunday after a paramedic driving by the house noticed smoke and flames coming from the carport.
"When the first engine arrived, the fire was contained within the garage, but that was fully involved," said Fire Chief Steve Vogel.
"They were able to extinguished the fire within 15 minutes. The overhaul (putting out hotspots) took several hours more after the fire was out."
Vogel said the resident had disconnected the car's fuel lines from the fuel pump, causing some fuel to spill on the floor. He had started a propane heater prior to working on the car.
About an hour later, he opened the door to the carport and noticed a fire underneath the car. After trying to put out the fire, he evacuated his wife and dogs and called 9-1-1.
The house is owned by Martin and Lynda Boothman of Olympia, according to the Clallam County Assessor's Office. It is being rented by Johnnie and Courtney Freitas.
Brian Gawley can be reached at bgawley@sequim gazette.com.
The Sequim Gazette is located at 147 W. Washington Street in Sequim.
Business hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Phone 360-683-3311, or toll free at 800-829-5810. FAX 360-683-6670.
For a complete company directory with contact information please click HERE.