When his students first proposed the idea of a combo classic car show/fundraiser, teacher Bill Seabolt thought it a fine idea.
Only, he hoped there'd be enough to come close to breaking even.
Turns out the peninsula is rife with classic car enthusiasts.
The first E-Tech Classic Car show, sponsored by
Sequim High School's Engineering Technology Club, brought hot rods, classics and antiques - 67 in all - to the school's campus on June 5.
The event raised funds for students to build a 1934 Ford coupe.
For an entry fee, car owners competed for awards such as Show & Shine, Loud Pipes, People's Choice and Best of Show (see winners in box).
Seabolt contacted local car clubs and saw members from local groups Sequim Valley Car Club, Peninsula Dream Machines and the Model A Club, plus Port Townsend groups Rakers and the Mustang Club.
"I am just totally amazed," Seabolt said. "I'm just blown away by the success that we had (and) with the support that the youth get. We're definitely doing (a classic car show) again next year."
The engineering club, with about 12 members this past school year, received the Ford coupe as a kit car from Fred Minker, owner of Fred's Hobbies and Guns. Minker bought it in 1991 and hadn't finished it, so he gave it to the high school club.
"It's definitely still in the beginning stage," Seabolt said. "We're still drumming up pieces to get it going. Over the summer I intend on having club meetings where we'll work on it. I figure (it'll take) two years."
Seabolt said students plan to enter it into car shows, parades and events such as homecoming to rev up awareness of the club.
Sponsors of the E-tech Classic Car Show included Tracy's Insulation, Napa Auto Parts, A-1 Auto Parts, Peninsula Awards and Trophies, Staples, Three Cupolas, Cruizin Magazine and the Sequim Gazette.
2010 E-Tech Classic
Car show winners:
_ Best of Show
1. Randy Smith (Port Angeles), '66 Chevy Chevelle
2. Dave McIntosh (Sequim-Sequim Valley Car Club), '67 Chevy Camaro
3. Tracy Bloom (Sequim) '69 Chevy Camaro Z-28
_ Show 'N Shine
1. Gary and Caryn Little (Peninsula Dream Machines), '72 Chevy truck
2. Michael and Denise Sieg (Carlsborg-Sequim Valley Car Club), '68 Plymouth Barracuda
3. James and David Hansen (Sequim), '56 Thunderbird
_ People's Choice
1. Joel & Sharon Clark (Rakers Car Club), '55 Chevy 210
2. Jere Colman, '62 Corvette
3. Richard Ward (Sequim-Sequim Valley Car Club), '56 Ford F-100
_ Loud Pipes
1. Bruce Lindquist
(Sequim), '70 Chevy Nova "Rat Attack"
2. John Maxwell, '72 Chevy Chevelle
3. Edd Fisher (Junkyard Gems), '27 Graham truck
The Sequim Gazette is located at 147 W. Washington Street in Sequim.
Business hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Phone 360-683-3311, or toll free at 800-829-5810. FAX 360-683-6670.
For a complete company directory with contact information please click HERE.