Sequim Centennial Celebration, the organizing committee plans a series of events over the Independence Day holiday, including an old-fashioned town picnic, a street dance on Washington Street and a Centennial Golf Scramble.
• Thursday, July 4 — Old-Fashioned Town Picnic
10:30 a.m.-4 p.m. at the Water Reuse Demonstration Park and the James Center for the Performing Arts, off Blake Avenue or Rhodefer Road, adjacent to Carrie Blake Park.
Fun and games for the entire family are in store during this full day of old-fashioned community cheer.
Relay races, bean bag toss, pick-up sports games, checkers, horseshoes, croquet and great music will highlight the day. And don’t miss out on the beard, mustache and vintage hat contests. Picnic food will be available for purchase.
Opening ceremonies start at 10:30 a.m., followed by a community photograph at 10:45 a.m. Music, games and contests begin at 11 a.m. and conclude at 3 p.m. when the Sequim City Band begins its annual Fourth of July concert at the James Center.
Music includes Dukes of Dabob (11 a.m.), No Batteries Required (noon), Old Time Fiddlers (1 p.m.), The Marmalades (2 p.m.) and Sequim City Band.
The Beard & Mustache Contest is at 12:45 p.m., Vintage Hat Contest is at 1:45 p.m. and community sing-along and photo is at 2:30 p.m.
Paint a tile for the Centennial tile painting project; Cost is $10 per tile.
• Friday, July 5 — The Street Dance of the Century
Be sure to be a part of the Sequim Community photograph to be taken at 5:30 p.m.
• Sequim’s First Friday Art Walk (5-8 p.m.) coincides with the dance downtown. The night’s theme color is purple, entry is free, and venues often feature live music, snacks and a chance to meet the artists. Find a map at www.sequimartwalk or see the story in the B-Community section.
• Saturday, July 6 — The Cedars at Dungeness Sequim Centennial Scramble
• Port Angeles celebrates the Fourth of July with a downtown parade at 6 p.m. followed by fireworks at the City Pier at 10 p.m.
• Mason Ziegler Memorial Scholarship Benefit events on Saturday, July 6, include motorcycle rides, a 5k-10k walk/run and a spaghetti feed, all in Port Angeles. masonzieglermemorial.wildapricot.org (walk/run) or opmc.org (motorcycle ride).
Sequim Avenue between Washington and Cedar streets will be closed from 8:30 a.m. Friday, July 5, to 10 a.m. Saturday, July 6, to accommodate the “Street Dance of the Century.”
Hosted by the City of Sequim and the Sequim Centennial Committee, the free dance runs from 6-10 p.m. July 5, with music by Magic Bus and The Guy Johnson Band. Food and beverages are available for purchase.
The intersection of Sequim Avenue and Washington Street also will be closed from 5:30-6 p.m. Friday, July 5, for the Centennial Community Photograph — all residents are invited to join in the photo.