• Associated Student Body officers, with their advisor, spent three days at Cispus Leadership Camp in August. They each brought back new leadership skills and project ideas to enhance the school atmosphere. They are committed to the goal to make Sequim Middle School a place where everyone feels welcome and treats each other with respect.
• Elections are Monday, Sept. 13, for 35 Associated Student Body Council class representatives and alternates to serve for the first semester. Those elected join President Mikey Cobb, Vice President Miguel Moroles, Secretary Brandon Fulmer, Treasurer Victoria Cummins and Public Relations Officer Grace Reisa Sumida, along with Senators Lisette Garcia, Sydney Hastings, Emily Wallner, Kylie Condosta, Brittany Joy, Taylor Seay, Meghan Matthews, Katie Stevenson, Kylee Ditlefsen, Katey Tapia, Elise Beuke, Judithayn Villella, Becky Schroepfer and Katie Schade in deciding themes for spirit days and begin work on the harvest festival, Oct. 15.
The annual magazine sales drive begins Sept. 28. This fundraiser supports athletic teams and extracurricular activities, including harvest festival, cocoa mornings, movie nights, school dances and skate parties. Community support is greatly appreciated.
Football, cross country and volleyball teams now begin practice each afternoon. The first volleyball game is at Chimacum on Sept. 27. The "kick-off" football game is Sept. 29 at Chimacum, and the first cross country meet is Sept. 29 at Stevens Middle School. Please join us in cheering on our Sequim Middle School Timberwolf athletes.
- Caity Karapostoles, ASB advisor/secretary
SEQUIM COMMUNITY SCHOOL
Friday, Sept. 10 - Children's craft time at 10:30 a.m.
Monday, Sept. 13 - Reading time with guest reader Kevin Van De Wege at 10:30 a.m. Every child attending reading time receives a
Tuesday, Sept. 14 - WIC (Women, Infants and Children) meeting. For more information about the WIC program, contact Pam Walker at 417-2275.
First Teacher is in
Sequim Community School, 220 W. Alder St., next to the playground. Parents of preschoolers, come with your children and enjoy activities, the playroom and the playground. Drop-in times are 9:30 a.m.-1 p.m. each Monday and Friday. Sign up to receive the monthly newsletter with parenting tips and information about local resources for families. For more about the First Teacher program, call 582-3428 or 681-2250.
- Cynthia Martin, director, and Chase Hill, Vista volunteer
SEQUIM HIGH SCHOOL
• On Saturday, Sept. 11, a pep dance is in the cafeteria after the football game against Meridian. Students should bring identification.
• The Commitment to Graduation ceremony for the class of 2014 is at 6 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 15, in the Performing Arts Building. At Commitment to Graduation, freshmen students sign a certificate and a banner, pledging to graduate from high school. The banner is hung in the library as a visible reminder of the class goal. Speakers include Lewis Bremond, a motivational speaker from National Achiever, and Grace Koenigsaecker, freshmen class president. All are invited, particularly parents, friends, and relatives of Sequim High School freshmen.