• Those interesting in helping children learn to read or improve their skills are encouraged to come to a volunteer orientation meeting, with time and location to be announced.Volunteer sign-up forms will be distributed and a brief training session held to explain how to help youths succeed at reading. For more information about the volunteer program, call Patsene Dashiell at 582-3264.
SEQUIM MIDDLE SCHOOL
• The annual magazine sales drive begins Sept. 28. This fundraiser supports athletic teams and extracurricular activities including the harvest festival, cocoa mornings, movie nights, school dances and skate parties. Community support is greatly appreciated.
• The first volleyball game is at Chimacum on Sept. 27. The "kick-off" football game is Sept. 29 at Chimacum, and the first cross country meet is Sept. 29 at Stevens Middle School. Please join us in cheering on our Sequim Middle School Timberwolf athletes!
- Caity Karapostoles, ASB advisor/secretary
SEQUIM COMMUNITY SCHOOL
First Teacher activities:
Friday, Sept. 17 - Kindermusik demonstration by Carry Madison of Aspire Academy at 10:30 a.m.
Monday, Sept. 20 - Reading Time with guest reader Vince Riccobene at 10:30 a.m.
Tuesday, Sept. 21 - WIC. For more information about the WIC program, contact Pam Walker at 417-2275.
Friday, Sept. 24 - Traffic Safety Day from 10 a.m.-noon. Learn about traffic safety with volunteers from the
Sequim Police Department and the fire department.
First Teacher is in the Sequim Community School at 220 W. Alder St., next to the playground. Drop in times each Monday and Friday are from 9:30 a.m.-1 p.m. Sign up to receive the monthly newsletter with information about local resources for families.
For more information, call 582-3428 or 681-2250.
- Cynthia Martin, director, and Chase Hill, Vista volunteer
SEQUIM MIDDLE SCHOOL
Eighth-grader Sean Tuttle was recognized at the back to school assembly on Sept. 10 for perfect attendance in the past school year. He had no absences and no "tardies" for the entire school year. Congratulations Sean!
- Caity Karapostoles, ASB secretary
SEQUIM HIGH SCHOOL
• There will be a free Link tailgate party for the freshman class at 5 p.m. Friday, Sept. 17, in the stadium parking lot prior to the football game. Freshmen should bring their ASB cards.
• This year's "Commitment to Graduation" ceremony for the class of 2014 is at 6 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 15, in the Performing Arts Building. At the ceremony, freshmen students sign a certificate and a banner pledging to graduate from high school. Speakers include Lewis Bremond, a motivational speaker from National Achiever, and Grace Koenigsaecker, freshman class president.
All are invited to attend, particularly parents, friends and relatives of Sequim High School freshmen.